Friday, March 4, 2011

MY IDOL, CIRCA 1971


THIS WEEK MARKS THE PASSING OF ONE OF MY MOST INFLUENTIAL STYLE ICONS, SHIRLEY BROWER.  SHIRLEY WAS THE GRANDMOTHER OF MY MAIN MAN LUKE.  HER TASTE WAS PERFECTION.  SHE WAS MORE COMFORTABLE IN HER SKIN THAN ANYONE I HAVE EVER MET.  SHE HAD A GLORIOUS LAUGH, AND IF I COULD BE AS PUT TOGETHER AS SHE WAS JUST 1 DAY A MONTH, I WOULD BE CONTENT.  SHE WAS A HUGE SUPPORTER OF JK.  I THINK OF HER EVERY DAY.  

I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE SOME SNAPSHOTS OF HER IN 1971. THE GORGEOUS MAN ON HER ARM IS HER HUSBAND NED BROWER.  NED WAS A FASHION MAN.  HE OWNED BEAU BRUMMEL CRAVAT HOUSE.  SOME OF YOU OLDER READERS MAY REMEMBER HIM AS THE MAN WHO GAVE RALPH LAUREN HIS START.  RALPH LIPSCHITZ  (THAT WAS HIS NAME BACK THEN) AND NED STARTED A HIGH END LINE OF TIES CALLED THE "POLO" LINE.  WHEN RALPH WENT OUT ON HIS OWN, GRANDPA NED GAVE HIM THE POLO LINE AS HIS PARTING GIFT.  WHAT A GUY.  

THESE IMAGES ARE FROM A SILK BUYING TRIP TO ITALY. 



STRAIGHT OFF THE YSL RUNWAY, RIGHT?



WITH A DAPPER SILK DEALER

NOT AFRAID TO STRIKE A POSE WITH A DOOR KNOCKER

SO PERFECT, MY GOD!



SHE BRED NEWFOUNDLANDS.  ONE PUP, NAMED BEAU BRUMMEL, 
WON BEST-IN-SHOW AT WESTMINSTER.  THIS IS NOT HIM.  NOTICE NED'S 
AMAZING LEATHER MAN BAG, AND SHIRLEY'S GUCCI MESSANGER BAG



TAKE BACK THE NIGHT SHIRL!

CASUAL BY THE SEA.  SO GOOD!



I MISS YOU BAD, GIRL.



3 comments:

  1. I read your post through Linda's facebook. It was wonderful to see your pictures. Shirley and Ned were great people. I am Ned Brower's Great Niece. Since you seem interested in Beau Brummell I would love to pass on a copy of a newspaper article I have that talks about Ned and his brother Robert and Beau Brummell ties. Robert Brower was Ned's older brother and my grandfather. They were equal partners in the business. My grandmother is still alive and if you would want more information on the company would be happy to talk and tell you many stories.
    I just love the article. It has a great picture and the history of the company. The article is from 1969.
    If you would email me, I could send you the article. My email is bgolda@cinci.rr.com

    Fondly,
    Golda Bear Kirzner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesse,
    I cried like a baby when I saw those photos. I'm Shirley's niece, Janie (ask Linda and she'll give you some idea of our relationship). Those pictures, some of which I've seen before, put Villa d'Este at #1 or 2 on my "Bucket List" years ago.
    Shirl was not only my icon, but my surrogate mother after my own mom died in 1977. I spent many summers around their pool in Cincinnati and I loved uncle Ned more than you can imagine.
    She was a fervent member of your fan club and would send me updates on your career whenever possible.
    She was indeed a great lady - thanks for the well-deserved tribute.
    Janie
    janelen@fuse.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Janie Meranus' younger sister,Laurie, and ditto to all of Janie's comments. Although Janie and aunt Shirl's relationship was closer than Aunt Shirl's and mine (Shirl was Janie's second mom) I adored Shirley and Ned, and my one claim to Shirley fame is that I was married to my husband Ken (still my husband) at Shirley and Ned's house in 1971. At the time my mom was a widow and Aunt Shirl, who had 2 boys and no girls,generously offered up her home for the occasion. the house was the perfect setting for a wedding, a charming place situated alongside a stream and looking like something out of a Currier and Ives painting on that December day. Shirley not only provided the venue, she threw herself into the planning process. She had only 5 weeks, we believed in short engagements, and I was home only on weekends to help, "commuting" to Indiana for an out of town project Mondays and returning Fridays. My hapless mom (Shirley's oldest sister by 15 years and worthy of her own blog, a fantastic mom and Janie's and my best friend) was taken by surprise and,like her younger daughter, me, was not strong on organization. So Aunt Shirl took her by the hand and whipped up the best damn wedding you can imagine. And because my dad was dead,Uncle Ned walked me down the aisle ( remembering that still makes me cry). I have some great pics (taken by your father in law,Scott, our "official" photographer), and if I can figure out how to digitalize them I'll try and send you a few with familiar figures in them.

    Shirley was indeed a "force", and she will be missed and remembered with joy by many. Thanks for the tribute and hope we can meet one day.
    Laura Shewmon

    ReplyDelete